martedì 26 maggio 2015

Getting Played by Mia Storm



Rules of the game:
1) Never underestimate your opponent
2) Avoid personal fouls
3) Score early and often
4) Play or get played

Coach Marcus Leon has always played by the rules…until he meets Addaline Grace, the seventeen-year-old senior transfer on his Oak Crest High water polo team. Addie changes all the rules, mostly because she doesn’t play any games. But as off limits as she is, the more Marcus discovers about Addie, the more he finds himself…and the more he questions whether Addie might just be worth risking everything for.

For Addie, water polo is anger management. She’s driven and focused because it keeps her mind off other things…like the fact she destroyed her family. Her game plan is to keep her head down and graduate so she can leave her father and the crappy town he dragged her to in her wake. But when what starts as friendly completion with Marcus turns into more than a game, Addie has to decide if she’s willing to face down her demons…and possibly ruin the man she may or may not be falling in love with in the process.


What happens when the only thing you need is the one thing you can’t have?


Getting Played: RELEASE DAY: MAY 28, 2015





Ok, da dove cominciare. Mia Storm è un'incredibile scrittrice, i suoi romanzi mi trasportano in un'altra dimensione, i personaggi diventano miei amici e le loro storie, gli amori e le sofferenze mi appartengono. Non li voglio mai lasciare andare e alla fine di ogni suo libro mi sento vuota e triste. Poi ricordo che posso rileggerlo quando voglio e il sorriso torna sul mio volto.

Mia Storm l'abbiamo già conosciuta con Getting Dirty, e nel primo volume della Jail Bait Series, abbiamo incontrato il protagonista di questo romanzo Marcus.
Si può leggere anche come stand alone, non è indispensabile leggere il primo libro. Ma perché sprecare un'occasione meravigliosa quale leggere un romanzo fantastico!!?

Marcus, è il fratello maggiore di Blaire ( la protagonista di GD ). Alcuni anni sono passati dal primo romanzo e il nostro protagonista ha terminato il college e torna a casa a Oak Crest sperando di insegnare educazione fisica nel community college. Quando il posto gli viene soffiato da una biondona provocante, rimedia come istruttore di water polo ( una sorta di pallanuoto ) nella High School. Durante il ricevimento di nozze della sorella, che si svolge nel parco dove giocavano i fratelli da piccoli, si allontana cercando un pò di tranquillità e qui incontra Addie. Dopo alcuni scambi di parole e un flirt leggero, le chiede di uscire ma alla frase "See you Monday, Coach", Marcus rimane impietrito..... ci aveva appena provato con una sua studentessa!!!! 



Addie ha dei seri problemi in casa, la madre è morta in un incidente d'auto, vivono a scrocco nella casa della zia materna e il padre è un alcolizzato. Inutile dire che non è un momento sereno per la ragazza, il nuoto le permette di isolarsi e dimenticare, anche se per poche ore, il dolore e la confusione. L'incontro con Marcus e le sue attenzioni, la fanno sentire desiderata ed esposta. Ha una serie di regole che segue religiosamente per non essere notata. Non vuole che nessuno sappia chi sia e tiene i suoi sentimenti ben nascosti. Non vuole la pena di nessuno.

Inevitabilmente Marcus comincia a guardare con occhi diversi Addie, a sua volta la ragazza non può che non restare indifferente al fisico statuario del suo Coach e apprezzare le premure che le riserva.
Marcus rischierà la sua carriera e la seria possibilità di finire in galera per una studentessa, per la quale i sentimenti d'amore non fanno altro che aumentare ogni giorno di più?



Marcus è rimasto scottato da quanto è capitato alla sorella. Il suo attuale marito è stato accusato di violenza sessuale perché colto in flagrante con Blaire. Ha passato mesi in prigione per questo, non era importante che lei fosse consenziente, agli occhi della legge lei era minorenne. Ma l'amore ha prevalso e adesso hanno coronato il loro sogno d'amore. Ha difficoltà ad accettare Caiden come cognato ma adesso che lui si trova nella stessa situazione comincia ad avere maggiore comprensione per le loro scelte. 
Quello che le piace di Addie è la sua forza, la fragilità, la determinazione e la dolcezza. Si ritrova innamorato senza nemmeno accorgersene e ogni tentativo di starle lontano risulta vano. 



Ha sempre agito come ci si aspettava, campione di nuoto da ragazzo, frequentava le persone giuste e andava ai party dei compagni popolari. In realtà lui non voleva questo ma non ha mai avuto il coraggio di mostrarsi per quello che era veramente. Ed è ciò che invidia alla sorella e a Addie, prova molto rispetto per entrambe.

Addie ha tanta rabbia in corpo, E' arrabbiata con la madre che ha sempre preferito i personaggi dei libri che scriveva alle persone reali intorno a lei. E' arrabbiata con il padre che passa la maggior parte della sua giornata a bere nel bar invece che cercare un lavoro. Appena sveglia indossa una maschera che impedisce a tutti di vederla dentro e nemmeno sospettare il tumulto che alberga nel suo cuore. Marcus distrugge ogni muro alzato e le fa capire che il suo non è vivere, una vita trascorsa in questo modo è sprecare una possibilità di essere felici. 


Non sarà facile per loro concretizzare il loro sogno d'amore, accuse false, trasferimenti inaspettati. Niente potrà tenerli lontano. Se ne vale la pena, si lotta fino alla fine per stare insieme all'unica persona che ti capisce e ti ama per quello che sei, senza maschere, senza false pretese. Per il semplice motivo che senza l'altro, non si è nulla.



Lo stile della scrittrice è impeccabile, l'inglese di facile lettura. Le scene d'amore molto delicate ma allo stesso tempo intense. Non so voi ma a me non crea problemi leggere di una storia d'amore dove la protagonista è ancora minorenne, non considero l'età un deterrente...anzi lo rende ancora più eccitante, se poi è un amore taboo tra insegnante/studentessa pure meglio!! Io sono una fan di questo genere di libri!!!
Augurandoci che arrivi presto anche in Italia, vi consiglio di fare un tentativo nella lettura in lingua originale, e cominciare con un romanzo di Mia Storm non potrebbe essere inizio migliore!!

P.S. al momento Getting Dirty è in offerta, fate voi, io vi ho avvisato ;-)!!!!




She glances down the hill in the direction I came from. “So, what’s going on down there, anyway? Someone’s birthday?”
My gaze follows hers. “My sister’s wedding reception.”
“In a public park?” she asks, her eyebrows raising in surprise.
I nod. “Graffiti Park is special. We spent a lot of time here as kids.”
“Graffiti Park? That’s really the name of this place?” she asks, looking around.
“I have no clue what the real name is. That’s just what we’ve always called it.” My thumb brushes over where Nate carved my name into the back of bench we’re sitting on at least ten years ago.
She squints toward the shelter below and shades her eyes from the last of the afternoon sun. “I don’t see a bride.”
I point to Blaire. “The one in the bright blue dress.”
“That sort of flies in the face of tradition, doesn’t it?” she asks, still watching.
“That’s my sister. She’s never cared much about social conventions. If you search YouTube for her valedictory graduation speech from Oak Crest High four years ago, you’ll see what I mean.”
Her eyes snap to mine, wide and curious, and her gaze knocks the wind out of me. “What did she say?”
“She basically told the whole world off. But that was because her now husband,” I say with a jut of my chin at the gathering below, “had just been arrested for statutory rape.”
Her eyes widen even more. “Oh my God!”
“She’s always insisted they were in love, and the age difference shouldn’t matter. It was her giant ‘fuck you’ to society.”
Her head cocks to the side as she watches the party below. “I like her already.” She turns back to me. “Won’t they miss you?”
I press myself against her shoulder. “I’m disturbing you?”
A sardonic smile ghosts over her features as she lifts the book. “I was in the middle of reading the thoughts of a dying giant bug-person and not thinking that was at all weird, so I’m obviously already very disturbed.”
I can’t stop staring, because she’s suddenly stunningly beautiful. Her eyes flash, looking momentarily more black then gray, and there’s a long, deep dimple in her right cheek, which is the only one I can see because of the angle of her head. I’m dying to know if there’s a matching one on the other side.
The smile fades under my scrutiny and when she drops her gaze to the book between us, a cascade of strawberry corkscrews hide her face. “Sorry. Stupid joke.”
“No!” Damn. A little too eager there, tiger. I work to lower my voice. “I mean, it wasn’t stupid. It was funny.”
I just forgot to laugh because your smile knocked me senseless for a sec.
She lifts a knee to her chest, hooking the heel of her sneaker on the edge of the bench. Her knee pokes through the long crosswise tear in her jeans. “It’s okay, my sense of humor’s pretty dry. Not too many people get me.”
“Your sense of humor is refreshing,” I say. “And as for people getting you, most people don’t pay enough attention to anyone but themselves to ‘get’ much of anything.”
“Marcus!”
I look down the hill at Deanna’s voice. She’s at the shelter waving her hands over her head to get my attention. There’s a sudden cramp in my stomach at the thought of her coming up here.
“Looks like you have to go.” I’d swear a catch a hint of disappointment in her tone.
“Looks like.” I stand and shove my hands into my pockets. “My name is Marcus, by the way.”
She smiles and something roguish flashes in her eyes. “I know.”
Fuck. I do know her. Everything felt so relaxed and comfortable between us. I hate that I might have just fucked that up. Before it gets totally awkward, I blurt, “I’d be up for maybe getting a burger at Sam Hill sometime, if you’re into that.”
She nods, but that wary glint is back in her eyes. “Yeah…sure.”
I fish my phone from my pocket. “Can I get your number?”
She reels it off and I type it in. “Girl who stole my bench,” I say with a cocky grin as I type it into contacts. I turn my amusement on her. “Or is there something else I should call you?”
He gives me a questioning tip of her head. “Addie.”
I know that name. Someone I went to high school with, maybe? My brain chugs harder trying to put the pieces together as I type it in. “Got it,” I say, holding up my phone. “I’ll give you a call.”
She squints at me. “Okay.”
I start backing down the path. “Enjoy my bench,” I say with a wink.
She lifts the book in a wave. “See you Monday, Coach.”
Suddenly I see her face under a navy blue swim cap with the Oak Crest Cougar on the side. The jolt of electric panic almost knocks my legs out from under me and I stumble, just catching myself before I go down.
Because she’s on my fucking team.
I ran tryouts Wednesday and Thursday. Practices just started yesterday. I’m still trying to get the new girls’ names. She said Addie, but my roster says Addaline, I think. All I can remember for sure is she’s a senior transfer and mostly keeps to herself.
“Fuck me,” I mutter, then hear myself. I hold up a hand. “I mean…” I trail off in a cringe. “Sorry for the language.” Because I’m not supposed to swear in front of a fucking student.
But fuck. My mind reels, replaying everything I said and did and trying to figure out how to backpedal out of this. “So, we’ll talk about a…team dinner…for bonding and whatever…at practice on Monday.”
Just shoot me now.
She tips her head and bites her lips, fighting a smile. “Sounds good, Coach.”
After what feels like a small eternity, I shake myself loose from her gaze and start down the hill without saying anything else. I can only dig myself deeper at this point. But the whole way, all I can think about is that, as shitty as my life is at the moment, it might have just gotten shittier.

Amazon - Kobo - IBooks


Mia Storm is a hopeless romantic who is always searching for her happy ending. Sometimes she’s forced to make one up. When that happens, she’s thrilled to be able to share those stories with her readers. She lives in California and spends much of her time in the sun with a book in one hand and a mug of black coffee in the other, or hiking the trails in Yosemite. Connect with her online at MiaStormAuthor.blogspot.com , on Twitter at @MiaStormAuthor, and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MiaStormAuthor


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento